Saturday, April 2, 2016

Day -2 Partying Like It's 1999

Day -2 is now all but in the history books. It was fairly uneventful consisting of a lot of sitting around, walking around, talking, watching General Conference, and then the actual melphalan with its accompanying dexamethasone (a steroid) and lasix (a diuretic.) This time I had my brother Adam and his wife Amanda here with me for the fun - thanks for partying with me!

Yesterday, the nurses said it was OK for me to go on a walk outside. I thought this sounded fun even though I'd still have to wear the mask, gloves, and gown required to leave my hospital room. During this walk, a knob on my IV pole fell off and Carey and I stopped to pick it up and figure out where it belonged. After some searching, we decided that we also lost the nut that belonged to the knob and so we looked a bit for it but came up empty. Today I also got to go outside for a walk and wouldn't you know it, I found the nut on the complete opposite side of the block! It's just non-stop fun around here!

So far the exercising has been going just fine. I've already gained a reputation for being a super-walker. I'm not sure how long that will last but now I've a reputation to live up to.

My stomach has been feeling a little off most of the day, nothing too bad but perhaps an omen of things to come. At this point I'm done with the chemo - tomorrow is my day off and then on Monday I get my PBSC (Peripherial Blood Stem Cells.) Monday marks day zero, the day my blood system is reborn with PBSC preserved when I was 39 making my blood system that of a man 5 years younger than I am now. I'm really looking forward to feeling five years younger! If I do another one of these in five years it will be like winding my blood system back ten years! It's almost like the blood fountain of youth!

No comments:

Post a Comment